WCC in the Picayune July 2017July 07, 2017Whether you call it the lazy days of summer, the dog days of summer, or it’s just that “School’s Out” mentality we never seem to outgrow, for many businesses, things just slow down in the summer. Even here at the Chamber we see a decline in event attendance in June and July followed by a big boost come August. It seems like everyone is on vacation. So, since we’re here at work, what are some ways we can make our summers more productive this year?
- Take stock of where your business is today. What is working for you? What is not working for you? What are your dinosaurs, meaning, what old strategies are you holding on to that just aren’t doing the job anymore? Also, write down accomplishments this year and reward yourself with a little summer treat be it an ice cream cone, a glass of rose, or a new pool float.
- Reset those 2017 goals you set in January. Which ones no longer make sense? Throw those out. Take the time now to come up with fresh strategies. Then make a plan and, most importantly, work the plan.
- Do a little summer cleaning. Clean out the paper files you haven’t looked at in over a year. Explore some new digital retention options and backup plans. Rearrange your office. Replace some furniture. Buy a new desk lamp. Or, what about cleaning out your Inbox or clearing off your desktop?
- Learn something new or update an old skill with new technology. There are all kinds of summer workshops and classes available. I just returned from a conference that was chock full of educational sessions and I feel recharged. Next week, I’m starting an art class. While it doesn’t have anything to do with my job, I’ve found I am better focused at work if I focus on something else during my personal time. Try it.
- Recoup your energy. Summer is the perfect opportunity to slow down just a bit. Give yourself permission to take a little time off from work whether that is a long lunch, an afternoon at the lake or a long weekend. It’s okay. Really. You need to take time away from work to recharge your batteries. While you are at it, why not take a digital holiday? Turn your cell phone and tablet off for a few hours. Unplug the television. Be an example for your children.
Before you know it, the summer will slide by and you’ll be well on your way to a very productive Fall.
Susan Difani, Executive Director
Westlake Chamber of Commerce
The Chamber would like to welcome our newest members Dr. Jennifer L. Walden, M.D. PLLC, Vincents Roofing, Rapidfire Technologies, The Cagle Law Firm, Wellness Clinic for Executive Health, William Earthman with New York Life, and Reveva Institute.
We would also like to thank Community Impact, Frost Bank, Zbranek & Holt Custom Homes, Beth Carter of Moreland Properties, Serasana, Engel & Volkers, The Carson Group at Keller Williams, and Hand and Stone Massage & Facial Spa for their continued support of the Westlake Chamber.
Thank you to the Westlake Chamber of Commerce Partners Benchmark Bank, Austin’s Granduca Hotel, and Independent Bank for their contributions throughout the year.
We’d also like to thank our Diamond and Gold Members for their continued support. Our Diamond Members are Austin Plastic Surgery Institute, Baylor Scott & White Health, BB&T Branch Banking & Trust, Hand and Stone Massage & Facial Spa, Kerbey Lane Café, Merry Maids, Seton Family of Doctors plus Express Care, The Hills Dental Spa, Tumble Tech, and Westlake Hills Vision Center.
Gold Members are American Bank, Brain Balance, Bright Horizons, Dolce, Dr. Jennifer L. Warren, MD, PLLC, Independence Title Company, Prosperity Bank, Rapidfire Technologies, Results Physiotherapy, Southside Bank, Synergy Dance Studio, Tide Dry Cleaners, and VIK Complete Care.
Upcoming Events for the Westlake Chamber of Commerce
Event Details & Registration Details Online at www.westlakechamber.com or by calling 512.327.3088.
Tuesday, July 11th 11:30 am- 1:00 pm
Business Builder Lunch
Texas Land & Cattle
Thursday, July 20th 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm
New Member Orientation
Thursday, July 27th 5:30pm – 8:00pm
Business After Hours
Save the Date
Tuesday, August 20th 11:30 am – 1:00 pm
Westlake Community Luncheon featuring WHS Coach Todd Dodge
Barton Creek Country Club
Contact:Susan Difani, Executive Directorinfo@westlakechamber.com, (512) 327-3088
- Area Info